Episode #2: We discuss what it’s like to have sex for the first time, in our lives and in YA fiction.
Show Notes for Episode #2:
– What we’re reading: Christa: Bone Gap by Laura Ruby / Carrie: The Winner’s Crime by Marie Rutkoski
– Christa mentioned our involvement in nonfiction anthology The V-Word, edited by Amber Keyser, editor (S&S/Beyond Words, spring of 2016)
– a great blog post that Christa references: An Open Letter to YA Authors About Sex by The Page Sage
– mention of girl character having an orgasm (on the page! yes!) in If I Stay by Gayle Forman
– Scarleteen’s First Intercourse 101 – a list of considerations for those thinking/planning their first sex
A bunch of information on lubricants, because why the hell not
What You Need To Know About Lubricant
Men’s Health: Pick The Perfect Lube
How To Use Lubricant: A Guide from About.com
The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry
“Green Screen” by Andrew Smith, in Losing It, Keith Gray, ed.
“Sticky Fingers” by A.S. King in Losing It, Keith Gray, ed.
About A Girl by Sarah McCarry
Under The Wolf, Under The Dog by Adam Rapp
Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
Freefall and Live Through This by Mindi Scott
First Time Questions. We used these as a tool think about the show content beforehand, so thought we’d share with you, as they make a great starting place for you and your friends to talk about First Times.
Where/When: time of day, location, your age
Who: Did you know the person? Were you in an established relationship? Like them? Love them? Kinda hate them?
How: Did you plan it? Did you use birth control or condoms? How did it work?
Did it hurt? How did you feel afterward?